- WHAT IS “EMPADRONAMIENTO”? –(Also known as the “Padron Municipal de Habitantes” or simply “Padron”)
It is a municipal register or census, similar to the electoral roll.
It is a way for the local government to calculate the number of residents registered within the local area.
You can select to either register as a family or as an individual.
Although it is a local municipal register of residents, it does not mean that once you have registered, you will be subject to fiscal checks or tax inspections. At the moment that is not the case. Many ex-pats bypass the issue of registration due to this misconception, (Although legally if you are resident in Spain you should make a tax declaration here).
The “Padrón’s” main function is to help the central government to calculate figures for the local council which in turn enables your local council to receive the correct amount of fundingfrom the central government’s coffers. This funding is essential for providing local services such as policing, health, schools and social care etc.
- WHO SHOULD REGISTER?
Anyone who´s first residence is in Spain, i.e. any person who spends more than 183 days a year in Spain.
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
It enables the person who is registered to benefit from the following:-
– Access at reduced rates to local cultural activities such as Spanish classes, gymnasium membership, exercise classes, art classes etc.
-Access to social care such as home help for the elderly or infirm, and disability passes, etc.
– Discounts on local taxes
– It is a form of proving your presence in Spain.
– Also it will provide additional funding from the central government to help improve your local services.
- WHEN WILL I NEED TO USE IT?
It is required for many administrative and bureaucratic processes and will be needed to do the following:-
– To apply for an NIE certificate
-To apply for residency
-To buy or sell a car
-To register a child in school
-To get married
– To register as a couple (Domestic Partnership)
-To vote in local elections
-To register in the local Health Centre
- WHERE DO I HAVE TO GO TO REGISTER AND GET THE CERTIFICATE?
The office for registering in Manilva is in Sabinillas, on the top slip road opposite the petrol station, in the Estepona direction, next to Arenal Fitness. It’s called the “Tenencia de Alcaldia de Sabinillas” .
- WHAT DO I NEED TO TAKE WITH ME?
- A fully completed application form which you can obtain from the local registration office
- NIE Certificate
- An officially recognized form of National Identification, for most people this will be their
- If you rent you will need a rental contract to prove your address, together with a completed Autorización de Empadronamientoform (from the Town Hall signed by the property owner).
- If you own the property you will need the Property Deeds (Escritura de Compraventa) and the most recentrates, (IBI), receipt from the Town Hall.
**PLEASE NOTE**-It’s advisable to take photocopies of everything with you, they may not be needed, but take them just in case!
The process is usually simple, quick, and straightforward, and once you are registered they usually give you the Certificate straight away or in the next couple of days.
Please note that the above information was valid at the time of writing; however, it is only a guideline as the laws and system may change at any time.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact Marbellasolicitors Group.