I AM A FOREIGNER AND I WANT TO BUY A HOUSE ON THE COSTA DEL SOL: FAQ (PART I)
- What are the requirements for a foreigner to purchase property on the Costa del Sol?
To purchase property on the Costa del Sol or elsewhere in Spain, foreigners only need an Identity Number for Foreigners, (Número de Identidad de Extranjeroor NIE), which may be applied for at Government delegations or sub-delegations or at any Foreign Office (Oficina de Extranjería). If you are unable to personally apply for a NIE, you may call in a legal representative, who will do the paperwork for you if duly authorised.
To speed up the processing of the NIE (a personal, unique, sequential identification number) and enter into a mortgage contract for your home, do not hesitate to contact us through at any of our offices. Our team of lawyers is at your service.
- If I buy an apartment in Spain but keep my residence in my country of origin, do I need to pay taxes in Spain?
When property is purchased in Spain, taxes and expenses related to the purchase must be paid in Spain. However, for a more comprehensive insight on this topic, please read our previous post Time to formally become a tax resident in Spain.
- Should I get a mortgage from a Spanish bank? Or is it preferable to ask for one in my country of origin?
No Spanish legislation forces buyers to get a mortgage in Spain to purchase a home. In fact, we recommend that you finance your property purchase in your country of origin. If you are not a legal resident, getting a mortgage in Spain means higher costs due to taxes.
- Can I get a residence permit if I own an apartment in Spain?
No, unless you invest over €500,000 in your home.
- Would the residence permit be granted only to me as the property owner, or may my family also benefit from it?
In Spain, family reunification is currently regulated under temporary residence. If you have purchased property in Spain worth over €500,000 and have obtained a residence permit, you may apply for an authorisation to register your family in home you bought.
Our next post will answer questions commonly asked by foreign buyers who wish to purchase a home in Spain. Meanwhile, if you need any further information or clarifications, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will happily help you with any legal need you might have.